Residential Zones Text Amendment
Staff will be at Anamax Park in the large ramada near the basketball court from 3:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M on Thursday December 8th with information about the amendment.
What is the residential Zones Text Amendment?
The residential Zones Code Amendment is a zoning code text amendment that impacts 16 chapters of the Town’s Zoning Code. The amendment is intended to simplify the use of the code while better reflecting the suburban character of Sahuarita. It also provides opportunities for the Town to accommodate newer trends in residential development.
What does this amendment do?
• The Amendment condenses the 13 residential zones into 1 chapter. This creates one table of uses for all residential and rural zones.
• The amendment removes guest houses, secondary dwellings and rear dwellings and replaces them with Accessory Dwelling Units. Comparison Table
• It updates the method for calculating Maximum lot coverage for accessory buildings to a simpler and more uniform method.
• It eliminates some uses that are currently permitted but are not typically found in communities like Sahuarita.
• It provides for newer trends in residential housing development including tiny homes, single-family for-rent products, and smaller lot detached homes.
What does this amendment NOT do?
• It does not change the regulations for Rancho Sahuarita as Rancho Sahuarita uses an older version of the Town code.
• It does not change regulations established in Specific Plan documents for other Specific Planned Communities (Madera Highlands, Quail Creek, etc.). It only impacts Specific Plan communities where the Specific Plan document refers to the Town Code regulations.
How do I learn more about the amendment?
• The draft amendment is available by clicking on the following link Residential Zones Draft
• The Town held a joint Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council Study session on September 26th. This study session was held during the Town Council meeting and was open to the public.
• A virtual Meeting was held October 11th from 5:30-6:30 P.M. A recording of that presentation is available by clicking on virtual meeting on this page.
Staff held a meeting at Anamax Park on November 8th, Parque Los Arroyos on November 14th and Anamax Park on November 17th.
Staff will be at the Winterfest information booth on December 17th from 12:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. Staff will be there to provide information on the amendment and answer any questions.
The outreach process is likely to run until December. A Town Council and Planning and Zoning Commission study session is anticipated for January 2023 with public hearings to begin in February 2023.
How can I provide comments or ask questions?
Any feedback or questions about the draft can be emailed to email@example.com.