To mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on Sahuarita small businesses, the Town of Sahuarita has committed up to $600,000 in one-time funds to create the Sahuarita COVID-19 Business Safety & Recovery Program. Qualifying businesses are eligible to receive a maximum single assistance award of $10,000.
The goal of this program is to provide financial assistance to Sahuarita-based small businesses that have suffered negative economic impact due to the mandatory business closures or due to limited services for the purpose of stemming the spread of COVID-19. In addition, the program seeks to also provide funding for businesses to implement health and safety measures for employees and customers to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Applications are available now and will close on Thursday, December 31st at 5:00 p.m., or when the budgeted funds have been expended.
Below you will find more specific details about the program. Link to apply is at the bottom of the page. Please read this page thoroughly. For further information or questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are eligible expenses?
Program funds may be used for payroll (and employee related expenses) necessary to hire or retain employees, as well as the cost of re-training. Other eligible costs include costs of operational needs, including but not limited to: buying inventory and supplies, implementing safety protocols for both employees and customers, in-store physical social distancing measures, operating systems, utilities (water, gas, electric, phone cable, internet), and rent. Eligible expenses must have been spent between the periods of March 1st, 2020 through December 31st, 2020.
Who is eligible for the program?
In order to be eligible for approval of funding through the Sahuarita COVID-19 Business Safety & Recovery Program, the business must meet the following criteria:
- Business must be an eligible for-profit business located at a commercial or industrial physical address located in the Town of Sahuarita;
- Business has not received any CARES Act funding or COVID-19 related assistance through a federal program such as the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) or Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) Emergency Advance;
- Business must have suffered negative financial impacts or business interruptions due to required business closures or limited services due to the COVID-19 pandemic, or is in need of assistance in order to provide the necessary equipment and services to protect the health of our community from COVID-19.
What are the program qualifications?
In order to qualify for funding, the business must meet the following qualifications:
- Has been operating in the Town of Sahuarita since at least January 2020;
- Has no fewer than 3, and no more than 30 FTE employees employed by the overall business entity (corporation, L.L.C., etc.);
- The definition of full-time equivalent (FTE) is the hours worked by one employee on a full-time basis. For example, two half-time employees (0.50 FTE) can be added to equate to 1 FTE;
- An Independent Contractor (1099 Employee) can be counted as an FTE;
- Had no more than $3 million in actual or projected gross sales in a 12-month period;
- Has the ability to demonstrate economic hardship suffered, and how the business has been impacted as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and describe the need and use of the funding;
- Is not an ineligible business as provided in these guidelines below.
What business types are not eligible?
The following types of companies will not be eligible for funding through the Sahuarita COVID-19 Business Safety & Recovery Program:
- Publicly held companies;
- Real estate investment firms;
- Banks, credit unions, check cashing, finance companies;
- Pyramid sales plans, where a participant’s primary incentive is based on the sales made by an ever-increasing number of participants;
- Gambling activities;
- Business where principle or owner of the business is currently incarcerated or on parole;
- Businesses directly or indirectly engaged in cannabis production or sale;
- Any business owned, in whole or part, by a Town of Sahuarita official or employee.
- Any business whose owner, with majority share of ownership of the business, has a current personal bankruptcy;
- This list of ineligible businesses may be updated by the Town as the program continues.
What is the application review process?
The Town of Sahuarita Economic Development Department will review the application for completeness. An application will not be considered complete until all requested information has been provided, to the satisfaction of the Economic Development Department. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis as expeditiously as possible.
- Awardees will be required to provide a W-9 form.
How to apply?
Applications will be accepted online only. Applications are available now and will close on Thursday, December 31st at 5:00 p.m., or when the budgeted funds have been expended. Click below to begin your application.