For signs that require a building permit...
Most permanent signs require a building permit. For these signs, submit directly to Building Safety. The application will be routed to Planning & Zoning for review as part of the building permit review process.
Sign regulations are found in Sahuarita Town Code Chapter 18.79. Please be aware that if your sign will be located in Rancho Sahuarita, the Rancho Sahuarita Specific Plan and the 1995 Zoning Code will be the governing documents. Several other shopping centers have Comprehensive Sign Plans on file that will also apply. Staff recommends that you check with us to verify which requirements will apply prior to submittal.
For signs that do not require a building permit...
Application is made directly to Planning & Zoning using the Zoning Clearance application form when a building permit is not required. Signs that do not require a building permit are non-electric and under 7 feet in height (6 feet in height for masonry block construction).
TEMPORARY SIGN CLEARANCES (For On-Site signs)
Most Temporary Signs require a sign clearance from Planning & Zoning. Regulations for Temporary Signs are found in STC 18.79.080.D of the Zoning Code. However, please note that regulations for Rancho Sahuarita are different. It is recommended that applicants for temporary signs check with Planning & Zoning before submitting.
Required submittal items are:
- A completed Application for Temporary Sign
- A site plan showing the proposed sign location(s). Include the distance from the sign to the property line.
- A sketch of the proposed sign(s) with dimensions
- Fees in the amount of $30.00 per sign type. If you are applying by email, the fee may be paid by phone. Staff will contact you to confirm the amount. If applying through the Accela Citizen Access portal, fees may be paid online.
When you're ready, submit your materials by one of the following methods:
- Use Accela Citizen Access. You will need to create an account;
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Stop by the Planning & Zoning counter during business hours
TeMPORARY OFF-SITE SIGN PLAN (for off-site signs)
Due to a change in Town Code in response to federal case law, the Town no longer permits off-site temporary signs except as may be allowed per state law or through a Temporary Off-Site Sign Plan approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission. Please use the Development Review Application, indicating "Temporary Off-Site Sign Plan" as the application type.
A Comprehensive Sign Plan can provide flexibility for a planned sign program. Regulations for Comprehensive Sign Plans are found in Sahuarita Town Code Section 18.79.050. Depending on the flexibility options being requested, some Comprehensive Sign plans are reviewed and approved administratively while others require a public hearing before the Planning and Zoning Commission.
To apply for a Comprehensive Sign Plan, use the Development Review Application, indicating "Comprehensive Sign Plan" as the application type.